NEW CRT/RRT Pretest
- 1Vesicular breath sounds are auscultated with which of the following?
- 2Transcutaneous monitoring (TCM) is being used with a newborn in the NICU. The temperature at the sensor site is 37 deg C. Concurrent arterial blood gases indicate significantly higher values for oxygen tension than those obtained by TCM. To correct this problem, the respiratory therapist should FIRST
- 3While doing an exercise on the treadmill, a candidate undergoing stress testing for cardiopulmonary rehabilitation suddenly develops premature ventricular contractions on the ECG tracing. The respiratory therapist monitoring the procedure should recommend which of the following?
- 4A patient has been diagnosed with vocal cord polyps. Which of the following pulmonary function tests would best evaluate the degree of impairment?
- 5While performing an ECG, the monitor suddenly shows a flat line pattern for all leads. Which of the following electrodes should be prepped and re-attached?
- 6The most commonly occuring complication of airway suctioning is which of the following?
- 7Monitors for a patient in the intensive care unit indicate a heart rate of 102/min, respiratory rate of 22/min, and blood pressure of 134/86. Laboratory tests show a serum glucose of 210 mEq/L and BUN of 12 mg/dL. Arterial blood gas results are as follows: pH 7.26, PaCO2 27 torr, PaO2 94 torr, bicarbonate 12 mEq/L. Based on this data, the most appropriate clinical response would be which of the following?
- 8Quality control procedures are completed on a flow measuring device. Observed data shows variations from actual for the middle range of test measurements. These results suggest a problem with
- 9Application of suction during withdrawal of a suction catheter should not exceed a maximum of
- 10The high pressure alarm is sounding with each breath of a patient being mechanically ventilated in the intensive care unit. The patient's oxygen saturation level via pulse oximetry is quickly falling and the cardiac monitor shows hypotension and tachycardia. Further assessment by the respiratory therapist reveals marked tracheal deviation to the right and breath sounds are absent on the left. Rapid confirmation of this patient's diagnosis is most appropriately obtained by
- 11A patient admitted to the emergency department with no inspiratory effort has been intubated and placed on mechanical ventilation. An appropriate mode of ventilation would be which of the following?
- 12An arterial sample of blood is obtained from a patient on room air for blood gas analysis. Air bubbles mixed with the sample would cause which of the following errors in analysis results?
- 13Accuracy of recording devices used in pulmonary function testing may be checked with which of the following?
- 14A patient with a seizure disorder has been weaned from mechanical ventilation. During the night following extubation the patient becomes short of breath while on a 50% cool aerosol mask. The patient is extremely agitated and shows a respiratory rate of 38/min, heart rate of 165/min, and temperature of 104 deg. F. Stat arterial blood gases are obtained with the following results: pH 7.29, PaCO2 61 torr, PaO2 119 torr. Which of the following should be done initially?
- 15Oxygen is being provided at a flow rate of 3L/min for an ambulatory patient via an E cylinder with a pressure reading of 1500 psig. For what period of time will this supply of oxygen be available?
- 16The chest radiograph for a 80 kg (176 lb) patient receiving mechanical ventilatory support shows bilateral, patchy infiltrates in the basilar areas of the lungs. Auscultation reveals bibasilar crackles. Ventilator settings for the patient are as follows: SIMV, mandatory rate 14/min, tidal volume 550 ml, FIO2 0.40, PEEP 5 cm H2O. Arterial blood gases have the following results: pH 7.33, PaCO2 47 torr, PaO2 75 torr, bicarbonate 24 mEq/L. The respiratory therapist should recommend
- 17Helium/oxygen therapy is being used to treat a patient with COPD. This gas mixture may be administered using which of the following? 1. nonrebreathing mask 2. nasal cannula 3. cuffed endotracheal tube 4. simple mask
- 18A high frequency jet ventilation system incorporates which of the following controls?
- 19A large volume nebulizer is being used to provide continuous aerosol for a patient via a T-piece. The respiratory therapist on duty is unable to discern a steady mist at the T-piece reservoir tube. This problem may be the result of which of the following?
- 20A preterm female has been born by Cesarean section and placed on an infant warmer. The baby is breathing spontaneously, her airway has been cleared, and the infant's heart rate is 80 beats/minute. The respiratory therapist assisting with the care of the infant should now do which of the following?
click above to jump directly to a particular question or to finish the test